13.7.07

the times they are a-changin'

Sometimes it's weird to think about all the things that have happened since I was born. In the past two decades kids have gone from playing with Razr scooters and Pogs to iPods and DS gaming systems. You even see 12-year-olds running around with cell phones. Google and Facebook have become verbs. Smashing Pumpkins and N'Sync are no longer new music.

It is strange to think that someday I'll look back and say, "Harry Potter - yeah, that was popular when I was in college," or "My brother was obsessesed with playing Halo." But then again, it's fun to see how things change. Like a quote I found by Colette that I really liked:

"I love my past. I love my present. I'm not ashamed of what I have had, and I am not sad because I have it no longer."

Maybe that's why I'm not too disturbed that my interests are constantly changing. Sometimes I think I'm a different person every day. Even the 'Visual DNA' widget in my sidebar is different from the one I posted a few months ago. When I clean out my desk drawers or look back in my old journals, I sometimes wish I could be as interested in a particular subject as I was then. And sometimes I look at what I was interested in, and I just have to laugh.

(Know what else makes me laugh? The word widget.)

No comments: