20.2.07

isn't it gorgeous?



(Pics from tashian.com, chocolate-fish.net and wgu.hu/art.)

My art history class is studying 15th century Italian art. While I think Michelangelo's sculptures and Duccio's paintings are moderately interesting, what really blows me away is the architecture. Just look at the facade of the Duomo in Florence, Italy (bottom picture.) How does someone even dream up an idea like that, let alone mathematically calculate it, and actually build it?
I've become increasingly interested in architecture since the beginning of the year. I have a friend who is (quite passionately) pursuing an architecture degree, and based on his stories of endless hours in studio and excruciating attention to detail in model-building, I know I could never make a career that way. Which oddly enough, seems to make it even more interesting. For now, I'm just content to see what structures other people dream up.
* This happens to be my 100th post. Wow, 100 random musings. Thanks for reading along!

5 comments:

Sonnjea said...

So gorgeous! My favorite art history lessons were the architecture ones, and one day I want to go to Italy and see all the stuff we studied.

Congrats on your 100th post! I look forward to your musings.

Word Imp said...

Greta
Architecture boggles my mind. I really believe everyone is born with several talents and the skill to design buildings is a biggy. I certainly don't have that one. Wonderful news about your 100th post! See you at the 1000th!

Jingo said...

I have a friend who's an architect. he just sits round and draws stuff on his mac...

Mom2Amara said...

Congratulations on 100!

My DH is an architect and I agree, I couldn't do it either...

And good luck with Art History. I enjoyed that course too -- until my prof decided he didn't like my interpretations and wanted to fail me for an elective course my last semester of college! :)

Sally T. said...

Beautiful!

We're designing our home right now and we're in LOVE with Arts and Crafts (Craftsman or Bungalow style) homes and interiors.

I have a particular interest in Roycroft.