28.1.07

japan


I never thought I'd get to say this, but it's finally starting to sink in: if all goes well, at this time in about five months I'll be getting ready to leave for Japan!

That little red dot on the map is Sapporo, the capital of the island of Hokkaido. It's there that hundreds of Yosakoi groups meet to perform and compete in an annual dance festival. This year, my Yosakoi club is planning to be one of those groups. And what's even better is that we'll be able to perform our own original dance. This is a very special privilege, because normally each Yosakoi song has a traditional dance to accompany it that might vary slightly from place to place, but not by much.

Of course there are a lot of preparations to do before then. I've started applying for a passport. I've purchased a Japanese phrasebook from Lonely Planet. I'm honing my eating-with-chopsticks skills. But most of all I'm just looking forward to getting to see a country I've never been to before. Five months is a long time to wait.

8 comments:

thethinker said...

Wow, you're lucky! I've always wanted to visit Asia.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, Greta!

I have a friend who lived in Japan for three years. She said it was beautiful.

How did you get involved in Japanese dance? That would be amazing.

Reese

Sonnjea said...

That is exciting. I'm sure you'll have a great time and learn a lot! And the five months will fly by.

Sonnjea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Junsui said...

Cool! How long are you going to be gone? (Read: you coming to camp this year?)

Jennie

Mom2Amara said...

I'm so jealous!!

Molly Malone said...

i feel like a lush. i read that the red dot on the map was Sapporo and the first thing I thought was: "cool! beer!" then i kicked myself.

that's really cool that you're going to get to go. i'd love to visit some day. congrats!

Greta said...

Thanks for all the comments, guys. :)

Reese > I got involved in Yosakoi just from watching the instructors practice. I thought it looked cool, so I joined.

Jennie > Not sure about camp yet, but I'll let you know when I am.

Molly Malone > I've heard the liquor there is very good. Not that I would know... ;)